Saturday, May 29, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

"It is the soldier, not the minister, who has given us freedom of religion...It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech...It is the soldier, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag..."
I grew up attending the Windsor Locks Memorial Day Parade along Main Street every year. Led by my grandfather, it was always a special day. So when we saw that Surprise was to hold it's own parade, we made sure to take Vinny. It was a truly fantastic morning. Vinny loved the parade, and snacked his way though the whole thing. Afterwards, we attended the memorial ceremony by the duck pond. It wasn't quite as nice as what Papa helps put together every year, but it was special.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio looked happy (not!) to be in attendance:

I see a new activity for the WL Senior Center! Come on Gram-what do ya say?




I'm going to have to bring myself to cut off that curl one of these days. I worry that it will straighten out before I have the will to give it the old snip snip.
New favorite thing to do-take a few steps with me, and then look up and laugh. So silly.


Check out the matching shoes!

Thank you to all our brave service man and women. Today in particular, I remember my grandfathers who served in the US Navy during WWII, and my cousins Timothy and Christopher, currently serving in the USMC. You make us so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He's Got the Cutest Little Baby Face: First 2 Months

Vincent's First Few Days at Home

Vincent Joseph is Born

Murphy and Lucy